Wednesday, July 8, 2015

40 never looked so young!!!

1970s
  • The city of Saigon is surrendered and remaining Americans are evacuated, ending the Vietnam War(April 30). 
  • President Ford escapes second assassination attempt in 17 days (Sept. 22).
  • ABC, CBS and NBC agree to create a "family hour," an early evening time slot that is free of violence and sex.
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Nashville, Dog Day Afternoon, Barry Lyndon
  • Home videotape systems (VCRs) are developed in Japan by Sony (Betamax) and Matsushita (VHS).
  • The Altair home computer kit allows consumers to build and program their own personal computers. 
  • July 8; Lauri Barkman is born, joining  big brother David...

    Like the nurses uniforms!













1980s
  • Terrorists seize Egyptian Boeing 737 airliner after takeoff from Athens (Nov. 23); 59 dead as Egyptian forces storm plane on Malta (Nov. 24).
  • Ronald Reagan, 73, takes oath for second term as 40th President (Jan. 20).
  • Rock Hudson dies of AIDS at age 59. He's the first major star to fall victim to the disease.
  • Madonna launches her first road show, the Virgin Tour.
  • In 1983 I received a baby sister...Elise 
  • I remember in 1986 when as a class we watched the first teacher board the Space Shuttle and watched live the tragedy of the explosion.
  • I lived in Texas @ the time and I remember being in class and listening and watching the news  in 87 when Baby Jessica fell down a well, as people prayed and listened to her as she sang Winnie the Pooh.          July 8 1985...I turned 10 
  • In 1988 I received a baby brother, Aaron!
     1990s
  • Russian space station Mir greets first Americans (March 14). US shuttle docks with station (June 27).
  • Israelis and Palestinians agree on transferring West Bank to Arabs (Sept. 24). Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabinslain by Jewish extremist at peace rally (Nov. 4).
  • Criminal trial of O. J. Simpson opens in California (Jan. 24).
  • Scores killed as terrorist's car bomb blows up block-long Oklahoma City federal building (April 19); Timothy McVeigh, 27, arrested as suspect (April 21); authorities seek second suspect, link right-wing paramilitary groups to bombing (April 22).
  • 1990 I was Diagnosed with Epilepsy, my family moved from a small town in Texas to a City in Arizona, my parents divorced.  
  • 1993 I graduate High School
  •    July 8, 1995...I turned 20
The 2000s
  • Worldwide aid pours in to help the eleven Asian countries devastated by the Dec. 26, 2004, tsunami (Jan.). See Tsunami Factfile
  • Pope John Paul II Dies (April 2). Benedict XVI becomes the next pope (April 24).
  • George W. Bush is officially sworn in for his second term as president (Jan. 20). 
  • The Sept. 11 Public Discourse Project reports that the country is still "alarmingly vulnerable to terrorist strikes." (Dec. 5). 
  • My Epilepsy has been under control, suffering for the most part from side effects. I have worked in child care for 10 years, and am a big part of my younger siblings life, I lost my grandpa to cancer.
  • July 8, 2005 I turned 30
  • In the last 10 years Ive lost 2 more grandparents. I have moved to California to be a Nanny, only moved back when the family moved away from Cali.  I have published a children's book.  I was forced to quit my job in social work, because my seizures broke through and began happening more often forcing me to stop driving and stop working.  The World and America and my life have changed quite a bit in the last 10 years.  A Horrible thing happened June 19, 2015 in Charleston  South Carolina where 9 people lost their lives to an act of racism where the confederate flag played a huge role. This horrible act has many people bringing down confederate flags everywhere, and even having my all time favorite show Dukes of Hazzard from being seen in reruns because of the iconic General Lee.  I have strong belief that if this event had not taken place; these flags would still be flying as well as the General Lee, which flew quite a bit in DoH. Now as Confederate flags come down rainbow flags go up and the LGBT celebrates the fact that they are now able to marry each other....My how the world has changed in 40 years.  I remember when my parents turned 40, they were so old.  I am grateful that I am poor, that way I will not go have some kind of weird mid life crisis that I will regret for years.  I am also grateful no matter how hard life has been, it has not gone my way, my way would have been harder indeed.  If it were up to me, I would have been married, had 4 kids and been a teacher.  Life is not that easy.  Life goes by so fast!  When you get to the age you have been dreading, you then realize just how young you are.  I'm so excited to see where God leads me these next 40+.  July 8, 2015 I turn...39+1

All info came from http://www.infoplease.com/yearbyyear.html 

No comments: