Saturday, June 2, 2007

Thankful

This past Friday, I went to "First Friday" In downtown Phoenix with some friends, where we were able to soak up some artistic culture. Throughout the night we went in and out of several galleries and passed by several vender's selling their version of art. Being that I love to admire art, I would often get left behind, unaware by my group, while I was studding certain pieces. The Phoenix Public Library was our first stop where we went up and down the hall looking at one woman's very interesting photographs. As we circled towards the end, the line came to a stop and we were now waiting for some free food the library was offering. Standing in line I was doing one of my favorite past times, "people watching". As my eyes circled the room, I noticed standing in the corner was a piece of artwork going unnoticed by all. An old man, small man in size, wearing old shorts, standing alone. In his trembling hands he held a plate of food that he was eating as if he had not in some time. As I watched him, he watched others and simply ate of his food, but I could tell by the look on his face that this was not just food to him, this was a treasure that he savored.
First Fridays bring art and culture into our city and that night I was thankful I had a friend who forced me to get out of the house and socialize..That First Friday, this man was not only thankful for the treasure he was eating, but also for being able to come in out of the heat if only for a little while. The night began and ended at the library, when we returned to the library I did not see this man anywhere around, which made me wonder where he had gone to sleep or when he would receive his next meal. I then realized that I need to thank God for the small things that I take for granted every day, the fact even though i do not have a car of my own, i have transportation to work and back and to church as well. The fact that even though I'm living with several members of my family right now, adleast i have a cool place to put my head at night and food for my tummy. Thank you God for truly supplying all my needs. I challenge you today to be thankful for even the little things, and pray for those who are hungry, thirsty and hot both physically and spiritually.

No comments: