Monday, August 6, 2007

Is there Dew in the Desert?!







Thes are pictures of Gods creation covered in dew. What is different about the flower is, it too is covered with dew...but this flower is a wild rose that grows in the desert...
This morning I went outside enjoying the cool weather, sipping my coffee and swingin on the porch swing when i started studding our grass. The grass is ready for a cut...but the length made my observations "more better"...(as my nephew would say). the grass was covered with droplets of water and i begin to wonder..does this dry barren land produce dew or is this water left over from the rain. With more studding i found that the desert is not immune from this great resource.
Before I moved to California all I saw around me is dry dusty air and ground and I felt that way in my soul as well. As I look back on my California Adventure...The climate may have changed, but my soul did not until i moved back to the desert...interesting huh...I was intrigued this morning when i came across water in our dry land that wasn't coming down from the sky...God will always keep our dryness quenched.

The following is from Wikipedia.org

Dew is water in the form of droplets that appears on thin, exposed objects in the morning or evening. As the exposed surface cools by radiating its heat, atmospheric moisture condenses at a rate greater than that of which it can evaporate, resulting in the formation of water droplets.

When temperatures are low enough, dew takes the form of ice; this form is called frost.

Because dew is related to the temperature of surfaces, in late summer it is formed most easily on surfaces which are not warmed by conducted heat from deep ground, such as: grass, leaves, railings, car roofs, and bridges.

Culturally dew is often associated with purity and freshness. This is evidenced by the names of certain popular beverages such as Mountain Dew

Due to its dependence on radiation balance, dew amounts can reach a theoretical maximum of about 0.8 mm per night, measured values, however, rarely exceeding 0.5 mm. In most climates of the world, the annual average is too small to compete with rain. In regions with considerable dry seasons, adapted plants like lichen or pine seedlings, benefit from dew. Large-scale, natural irrigation without rainfall, such as in the Atacama Desert and Namib desert, however, is mostly attributed to fog water.

3 comments:

JULES said...

Did you take these pictures yourself? They're gorgeous! And you know, I read your blog and I just wanted to say a little something I thought of yesterday: When I don't get what I pray for, I thank God, because then I know He has something even better planned for me. Have a great day! / Jules (Sweden)

Faint-Hearted said...

Thank you for your comment...your words are very encouraging. I wish I could take credit for these pictures, but they are downloaded from computer..you have a great day as well!

JULES said...

Yeah, well.. I'm not very good at english, but still it's much easier for me to read your blog than for you to read mine. But I'm glad you did! / Jules